The project will require the student to use both established and cutting edge research techniques to determine leopard densities in this vast area. In addition, this project will require the student to maintain and extend the current strong relationship between the Cape Leopard Trust, CapeNature and local landowners.
The Boland Mountains and surrounding mountains forming the study area include the Limietberg Nature Reserve, Kogelberg Nature and Biosphere Reserves, Jonkershoek Mountains, Hottentots-Holland and Groot Winterhoek Mountains. These areas represent key leopard conservation areas for the Cape leopard population. This is a remote wilderness area and applicants must meet the following essential criteria:
- Be able to work independently for extended periods in relative isolation from major population centres
- Applicants should be physically fit and in good health
- B e able to spend long periods surveying remote areas alone
- Be able to communicate project progress to local landowners and conservation authorities through regular public presentations and meetings, acting as an ambassador for the project
- Be computer literate and familiar with data base handling and management techniques
- Have a full current drivers licence
- Hold a BSc (Hons) degree in biology, environmental sciences or another related field
- Have English and basic Afrikaans as minimum language requirements
Successful applicants will be provided with the following:
- Research equipment
- Bursaries to cover fees and personal subsistence
The ideal candidate will have a passion for spending extended periods of time in remote wilderness areas and not be daunted by the challenges faced by this. Additionally candidates should have a keen interest in wildlife ecology with a view to pursuing a career in this field.
Applicants should contact Professor Les Underhill (Les.Underhill@uct.ac.za) and Quinton Martins (Project Manager – The Cape Leopard Trust – firstname.lastname@example.org) by 30 November 2009. Submit a motivation for your suitability, CV and two contactable references. Position available from 15 January 2010