The Environmental Education Programme offers two internship posts annually for assistance with Education camps based primarily in the Cederberg and Boland.
Our internship positions run from February to mid May and September to mid December. We look for a general assistant with environmental knowledge to help on the camps.
How to apply
If you are interested and consider yourself suitable for the position, please contact us for an application form. Applications for the upcoming internship are due by 17:00 on Friday the 22nd of July 2016.
Description of intern’s role
- Practical campsite set-up, running, maintenance and cleaning
- Helping to facilitate hikes, outings and all other camp activities including art and creative writing
- Creating and leading sessions, presenting aspects of the programme
- Learning about the topics that we cover (eg fauna, tracking, flora, geology, predator research, etc) to help explain and answer questions
- Keeping an eye on children (safety, support and discipline)
- Passionate about the environment and able to share this interest
- Work well with people, particularly children
- Teaching experience an advantage
- Must be fit, generally healthy and enjoy hiking
- Must maintain cleanliness, keep living space neat and take good care of equipment
- Prepared to work flexible hours – during camps days start early and can end late at night
- Responsible, reliable and with good organizational skills
- Patient, confident, good humoured, professional
- Prepared to do mundane tasks and physical labour
- Able to deal with solitude and simple living
- Fluent English essential, additional Xhosa or Afrikaans an advantage
- Good general knowledge of plants, animals, geology, etc an advantage
- Computer skills (especially word, excel and powerpoint) an advantage
- Good writing skills an advantage
What we offer and what we don’t
This is an opportunity for hands-on experience in a beautiful setting. There is lots of room for developing personal interests and really contributing to the project.
During camps interns will stay with the group in a tent but in between camps we are able to provide simple accommodation with a shared kitchen (away from campsite) at one or more venues depending on where camps are held. The intern is expected to stay in the Cederberg or Boland (except on short trips home) for the duration of the camp season. Accommodation consists of own bedroom with shared bathroom. Shared kitchen has a fridge/freezer, basic cooking equipment and utensils, tables and chairs. There is electricity at the accommodation, not at the camp-sites.
We can provide transport to and from the Cederberg with camp groups if needed (from Cape Town). Interns must provide own food. We are able to offer a small stipend of R2000.00 per month to the intern and where applicable and possible will assist with referrals and recommendations for future work experiences.